The fiery scholar who ran a secret radio station

The fiery student who ran a secret radio station

Image copyright

Usha Mehta was simply 22 when she went “underground” to run a secret radio station throughout India’s battle for freedom from British colonial rule. BBC Gujarati’s Parth Pandya and Ravi Parmar report.

“Do or Die. We shall either free India or die in the attempt,” Indian independence chief Mahatma Gandhi advised fellow leaders on 8 August 1942.

The now-famous speech launched the Quit India motion – and catapulted one younger girl within the crowd, 22-year-old Usha Mehta, into the historical past books.

Moved by Gandhi’s phrases, Mehta – with the assistance of different younger independence activists – launched an underground radio station inside per week.

“When the press is gagged and all the news banned, a transmitter certainly helps a good deal in… spreading the message of rebellion in the remotest corners of the country,” she said in an interview in 1969.

They spent the subsequent few months broadcasting information about India’s battle for freedom, urging folks to affix the resistance. Her stint behind the microphone might have been brief however its influence was highly effective.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Gandhi’s iconic speech in 1942 launched the Quit India motion

Gandhi and lots of different leaders had been arrested inside hours of his speech within the hope that it might depart the motion rudderless. Instead, civilians and the underground press stepped in to galvanise folks throughout the nation.

The Quit India motion rapidly unfold, sparking large protests and waves of civil disobedience that lasted for 2 years.

And a band of younger folks, led by a feisty girl, performed their half.

Who is Usha Mehta?

Resistance was not new to Mehta. She was born in a village known as Saras in what’s right this moment the western state of Gujarat. Not solely was it Gandhi’s house state, it was additionally the location of his iconic salt march in 1930.

She was simply eight years previous when she took half in her first protest. It was towards a committee of Englishmen led by Sir John Simon that was tasked with recommending constitutional reform in India.

“The first slogan I shouted against the British was ‘Simon Go Back’,” she stated in an interview in Naveen Joshi’s e-book, Freedom Fighters Remembered.

Image copyright
Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya

Image caption

Usha Mehta was 22 when she began the radio station

She was a teen when she responded to Gandhi’s name to defy the salt tax. “I had the satisfaction of breaking the law and doing something for the nation even as a young child,” she stated of the second in an interview years later.

She took half in all types of civil disobedience campaigns – from picketing and protests to spinning cotton as a method of rejecting British imports.

“There was no need for any inspiration. The whole atmosphere was so charged that no-one was left untouched,” she as soon as stated.

In 1933, after her father retired as a choose, the household moved to Bombay, now Mumbai.

And it was there – 9 years later – that Mehta heard Gandhi converse at that historic assembly of the Congress occasion.

The secret Congress radio

“This is the Congress Radio calling on 42.34 from somewhere in India.”

This is how the broadcasts would all the time start – Mehta later revealed that they had been all recorded in Bombay.

She managed to get the station up and operating with the assistance of two different activists, Chandrakant Babubhai Jhaveri and Vithaldas Ok Jhaveri, together with Nanka Motwane, whose household owned a phone firm known as Chicago Radio. Nariman Printer, an newbie radio operator, additionally helped.

Their first broadcast was on 14 August 1942.

In the start, they had been broadcasting twice a day, in Hindi and English. But they lowered it to only as soon as within the night between 7.30 and eight.30 pm.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

The Quit India motion sparked large protests

But they saved transferring to throw the police off their path – Mehta stated they’d have moved places six to seven instances within the three months they broadcast.

The station carried all types of stories, from retailers refusing to export rice to arrests of leaders and civilians.

“We got news from all over India by special messengers. Also, the office of the All India Congress Committee, which was in Bombay then, used to supply us with important news.” she stated in an interview.

“When newspapers dared not touch upon these subjects under the prevailing conditions, it was only the Congress radio which could defy the orders and tell the people what actually was happening.”

Many outstanding leaders additionally delivered radical speeches in these broadcasts, which unnerved the British.

“(Police) vans used to chase us regularly and very often it was merely a question of touch and go,” Mehta stated.

In November 1942, the police raided radio retailers in Bombay, together with one owned by Chicago Radio. They arrested Nariman Printer, who’s believed to have tipped them off concerning the whereabouts of the radio station.

A closing broadcast

On 12 November, Mehta recalled in an interview, that police raided Babubhai Khakkhar’s workplace whereas she was additionally within the constructing.

She stated she took the printed materials she had, and rushed to the recording studio, which was elsewhere. Two of her colleagues had been busy making ready a program for that night.

With the assistance of one among Printer’s assistants, Mehta stated they arrange a brand new transmitter for a closing broadcast.

“We played Hindustan Hamara, then we relayed some news bulletins and a speech. Just when we were at the end of the program, playing ‘Vande Mataram’, we heard hard knocks on the door.”

She said authorities broke open the door to enter.

“They ordered us to cease taking part in ‘Vande Mataram’. We didn’t oblige them.”

Image copyright
Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya

Image caption

Mehta died in 2000

She stated they seized the tools and 22 circumstances containing pictures and sound movies of the Congress occasion periods.

She and 4 others had been arrested, and the investigation lasted for months.

Mehta stated it was “real mental torture”. She recalled that they even supplied to ship her overseas to review if she turned over extra folks however she refused.

Three of the 5, together with Mehta, had been convicted. She was sentenced to 4 years in jail and launched in April 1946.

“I came back from jail a happy and to an extent a proud person.”

After her launch, she pursued her PhD and went on to show at Wilson College in Bombay University for 30 years.

She was conferred the Padma Vibhushan, one among India’s highest civilian honours in 1998.

She handed away on 11 August 2000 after a quick sickness. She was 80.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: