Manchester United brushed Brighton apart with a vibrant all-round show as their pursuit of a Champions League place gathered additional momentum.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s facet completely dominated the competition on the Amex Stadium and prolonged their unbeaten run to 15 video games to maneuver as much as fifth within the Premier League, two factors adrift of Chelsea.
Teenager Mason Greenwood bamboozled Seagulls defender Lewis Dunk with fast footwork and drilled in an correct opener for the guests.
United have been ruthless within the closing third as midfield playmaker Bruno Fernandes, who was extremely spectacular as soon as once more, netted through a deflection, then volleyed in to complete a swift counter-attack.
Brighton did pose some risk within the second half however David de Gea made a flying save to disclaim Aaron Connolly as Graham Potter’s facet stay in 15th place, six factors above the relegation zone.
United taking form underneath Solskjaer
United could have seemed enviously at rivals Liverpool and the job Jurgen Klopp has carried out as they ended their 30-year look ahead to a top-flight title by profitable the Premier League for the primary time – their earlier titles coming again within the outdated First Division days.
It has already been seven years since United gained the final of their 20 league titles however the lengthy rebuild job has began to point out indicators of taking form underneath membership legend Solskjaer.
The Red Devils struggled with gradual and structured soccer underneath David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho, however showcased a free-flowing model of soccer on the south coast on Tuesday.
United pressed with poise, attacked with tempo and completed with precision – they’ve now scored 38 objectives throughout their 15-game unbeaten run and conceded simply 4 objectives.
Teenager Greenwood took his tally to 13 for the marketing campaign with a crisp end on the close to submit however it’s the January signing of Fernandes that appears to have rejuvenated the facet, with the previous Sporting Lisbon participant having contributing 5 objectives and three assists since his arrival.
Fernandes’ second objective – his facet’s third – was a throwback to United groups of outdated, the Portuguese smashing in Greenwood’s chipped cross to finish a devastating counter-attack. And he might have had a hat-trick, however struck the foot of the submit.
Alongside Fernandes, French World Cup winner Paul Pogba eased again into motion following an extended harm lay-off and caressed the ball across the pitch, whereas Nemanja Matic expertly patrolled the centre of the park.
United have been excellent going ahead however their efficiency on the again will likely be pleasing too, staying largely untroubled and conserving the eighth clear sheet from their previous 13 top-flight video games.
The Old Trafford facet gained solely one in every of their final seven video games final season to complete sixth however might be assured within the run-in this time period with video games towards strugglers Bournemouth, Aston Villa and West Ham developing, and an opportunity to gather silverware within the FA Cup and Europa League too.
United sit fifth nevertheless it might be sufficient to realize entry into the Champions League subsequent season as rivals Manchester City await the destiny of their attraction for a two-year ban from the competitors.
Back to the drafting board for Brighton
Brighton have been in good type for the reason that restart, having gained as soon as and drawn twice, and had gained their earlier three top-flight video games towards United – however they have been effectively crushed on this event.
With six video games remaining, they may nonetheless be nervously trying over their shoulders on the 5 groups behind them, however confirmed glimpses that recommend they need to be capable to claw themselves away from hazard.
Leandro Trossard made an affect after approaching within the second half, flashing two pictures huge with De Gea rooted to the spot, and the United goalkeeper needed to react sharply to maintain out Connolly’s curling strike and Neal Maupay’s drive.
Brighton face an enormous sport towards bottom-of-the-table Norwich on Saturday, understanding victory will give them some respiration house earlier than internet hosting champions Liverpool and second-placed Manchester City of their following fixtures.
Man of the match – Bruno Fernandes (Man Utd)
Brighton journey to Norwich on Saturday (kick-off 12:30 BST), whereas United host Bournemouth on the identical day (15:00).
Fantastic Fernandes – the stats
- Manchester United prolonged their unbeaten run to 15 matches throughout all competitions (W11 D4); solely Bayern Munich (25 video games) are at present on an extended streak with out defeat amongst all sides in Europe’s big-five leagues.
- Brighton have gained fewer Premier League video games in 2020 than another facet (P13 W1 D7 L5).
- This was Brighton’s greatest dwelling league defeat of the season, with their final Premier League loss by a three-goal margin on the Amex approaching the ultimate day of the 2018-19 marketing campaign (4-1 v Man City)
- Manchester United have stored extra clear sheets of their final 13 league video games (eight) than they managed of their first 40 underneath supervisor Ole Gunnar Solskjær (seven).
- Manchester United accomplished a league double over Brighton for the primary time for the reason that 1981-82 marketing campaign, with tonight their first away win over the Seagulls since April 1982.
- Mason Greenwood’s six objectives for Man Utd in 2019-20 is probably the most by a participant aged 18 or youthful in a single Premier League season since Wayne Rooney scored 9 for Everton in 2003-04.
- Since his debut for Manchester United in February, Bruno Fernandes has been immediately concerned in additional objectives in all competitions than another Premier League participant (10 – six objectives, 4 assists).
- Fernandes has been immediately concerned in eight objectives in his first eight league video games for Man Utd (5 objectives, three assists) – solely Robin van Persie had extra objective involvements (9) after as many video games initially of his Premier League profession with the membership.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s help for Greenwood’s opener was his fourth within the Premier League for Manchester United (29th look); another than he supplied in 42 league video games for former membership Crystal Palace.