Australian teenager dies after being stung by field jellyfish

Australian teenager dies after being stung by box jellyfish


The teenager was swimming at Patterson Point, close to Bamaga in Queensland, on February 22 when he was stung by the creature, Source affiliate 7News reported.

Local media have reported that it’s regarded as the primary loss of life from a field jellyfish sting in 15 years.

Queensland Police confirmed to Source on Thursday that they had been getting ready a report for the coroner following the sudden loss of life of the 17-year-old, from Bamaga.

The boy was transported to hospital on February 22 after the incident, and died on March 1, police stated.

A spokesperson for the Royal Flying Doctor Service, an air medical service in Australia, advised Source in an announcement that crew stabilized the affected person in Bamaga earlier than transferring him to Townsville Hospital on February 22.

Named after their physique form, field jellyfish have tentacles coated in small, poison loaded darts, often called nematocysts.

There are round 50 species of field jellyfish, however just a few include venom which may show deadly to individuals — together with the Australian field jellyfish, Chironex fleckeri, which is taken into account to be essentially the most venomous marine animal, in keeping with the National Ocean Service.

The Australian number of the creature has a physique measurement which may attain as much as one foot in diameter and tentacles which may develop as much as 10 ft lengthy.

Large field jellyfish resembling Chironex have triggered greater than 70 fatalities in Australia, in keeping with Queensland Health, which issued a warning following the incident.

“The recent incident at Bamaga is a timely warning to take precautions when swimming in the sea in any northern waters,” Marlow Coates, Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Service northern director of medical companies, stated in an announcement.

“We are seeing sightings of both box jellyfish and jellyfish that cause Irukandji syndrome in our waters,” he stated.

Coates stated that swimmers ought to put on protecting clothes like lycra fits or wetsuits, and keep out of the water if they didn’t have protecting gear.

Authorities added {that a} main Chironex sting is “immediately and excruciatingly painful” and “should be considered life threatening.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

%d bloggers like this: